Thursday, September 11, 2014

Sugar DeTox!

Short Version
1. Poor planning leads to poor results.
2. Exercise improves my mood dramatically.
3. My name is Chrissy and I am addicted to sugar & carbs



I often have this debate with my mother who is diabetic, she says she can't have a piece of fruit. And I say yes you can, not all sugar is created equal. What is the real answer? I'm not a Dr. I can't really say officially but I have been doing tons of reading and research into what the heck I should be eating. All these nutritionalists and Drs say that processed food is evil. That we should be eating whole, real food. And through trial and error I have to say that I now am a firm believer that they are right.

I have been slipping on my planning and preparing. I have slipped into eating a baked potato with some smart balance on it as my default meal. This is technically vegan but I can tell you my conclusion. I have stopped loosing weight, and I have NO energy. Today I am going to get back on the planning and prepping band wagon. Also Smart Balance has palm oil in it! Urgh! I am not going to buy it again once what I have is gone. The way they harvest palm oil is so terrible for the environment.

Another conclusion that I have read over and over in this research I am doing is "you cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet".  I keep trying to do just that. I even did an hour of Jazzercise and two hours or roller derby on Tuesday. It made my bones hurt I was so tired. And because I over did it on Tuesday I did not work out at all on Wednesday. When I do not get any exercise I am grumpy. So I woke up this morning already grumpy.

So I have a new mantra:
I exercise for my mood.
I eat for health and energy.

This week I am doing a sugar detox. I am cutting out all items that have sugar in them. And it is hard. It has made me grumpy. Yesterday I was starving and caved and ate both sugar and cheese. Why? - see poor planning statement above.

I have also slipped into eating more bread. I really think that eating carbs is a slippery slope for me. And when I over do it on carbs I get foggy headed and can't think straight. Why do I keep slipping? I think it is because old habits die hard. Also we live in a society where it is tough to eat the way we should. Not impossible but it takes more planning and preparing.

I also have let life creep in. I have skipped working out because I was too tired or because I needed to do something for someone else. I have to make myself a priority. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I skipped working out yesterday and got no more done than I would have if I had gone to Jazzercise or something.

When I work out I have more energy and feel happier therefore I am more productive. When I feel like skipping a workout or eating something quick and crappy I need to remember that neither of these things ever serve me well. I never regret a good workout and I never regret a hearty & healthy meal. I always regret skipping a workout and I always regret eating something crappy.

Through all this, I still have not given up on myself. I have hit some bumps in the road. But they are just bumps the road is not closed. I do not need to take the detour. I need to suck it up and go over the bumps.

By the way, today is my 10th wedding anniversary. This represents the longest and strongest commitment of my entire life. And I have to say I am sure I picked the right person because the last 10 years (11.5 if you count when we were dating) with him have been the best ones of my life. And when all is said and done they have been pretty easy years too. I have never once considered quitting him or our life and if you know me at all that is a huge statement.

So I am off to make some plans and get things done. What are you going to do today?

- C 

No comments:

Post a Comment